Monday, March 16, 2009

You have got to read this!

I am going to quote a few lines of an article I read today.
We all know that at Xl we are all about reaching Men.....so read and enjoy!
Remember I am quoting an article and providing you a link to read more for yourself so you decide if you want to read further!

"The stallions hang out in bars; the geldings hang out in church." This observation strikes a little close to home for someone like me. I always thrived in my congregation but was never certain I fit the mold of masculinity I saw modeled around me. So as much as I resent this sentiment, it nevertheless rings true: In many churches, a certain type of man is conspicuously absent.

GodMen, a ministry that provides space in which "men can be men; raw and uninhibited; completely free to express themselves in the uniquely male way that only men understand." .......included videos of karate fights, car chases, and songs like "Grow a Pair!"

We've been beaten down
Feminized by the culture crowd
No more nice guy, timid and ashamed …
Grab a sword, don't be scared
Be a man, grow a pair!

It's not sung to the tune of "In the Garden."

The message of Church for Men and is resonating with ministers of all stripes. .....he geared his entire ministry toward reaching young men. And while his ministry is not to men in particular, ..., pastor of ....., nevertheless desires greater testosterone in contemporary Christianity. In .... opinion, the church has produced "a bunch of nice, soft, tender, chickified church boys. … Sixty percent of Christians are chicks," he explains, "and the forty percent that are dudes are still sort of chicks."

The aspect of church that men find least appealing is its conception of Jesus. .... put this bluntly in his sermon "Death by Love" According to ...., "real men" avoid the church because it projects a "Richard Simmons, hippie, queer Christ" that "is no one to live for [and] is no one to die for." .... explains,
"Jesus was not a long-haired … effeminate-looking dude"; rather, he had "callused hands and big biceps." This is the sort of Christ men are drawn to—what ...... calls "Ultimate Fighting Jesus."

Click here for full article..It is a good read!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious why you took out all references to Driscoll, but linked to the article where his name was mentioned.

Mark Floyd said...

Some people freak when I add his comments...there is an autobot that spams me to death if I add his name and a few others and also if I ever add a specific scripture or two it will spam me to no end....so that's the fastest way to stop that problem! Good read??

Floyd